River Plan Objective: To improve connections between the central city and the river, visually and physically.
River Plan Projects:
- Work with land and building owners to develop a positive relationship between the central city and the river, including artwork and new construction
- Improve connections from Victoria Street to the river
- Support development of Riff Raff / Embassy Park
- Create the promenade walkway on the upper river bank level with great river views
- Develop a vegetation management plan to balance accessibility and views with the natural vegetation
- Provide directional signs
- Provide viewing platforms, lighting, seats and greater amenity
- Provide places for access to the river
- Improve pedestrian and cycle links across the river including upgrading Claudelands Bridge
History: Land at Ferrybank was designated Council reserve in 1880. The remaining sections of riverside land between there and the Claudelands Bridge entered the city reserve between 1951 and 2006.